Friday, September 26, 2008

Being Cautious

So its been forever and a day since I've typed anything at all on my blog. Its mostly due to the fact that I'm being careful. Obviously I can't give names or specific information about what occurs. With everything I handle there is potential for it going to trial. If I give too specific information I could cause a mistrial and let a criminal go free because his right to privacy was violated.

So I think I'll keep things vague and talk more about insights and observations I have while on duty. “Through the eyes of an officer.” I find most people are curious about police work and always seem to have a plethora (yes...a plethora) of questions about what goes on for a normal day and what things I've handled.

So here is me giving this another go. I'll answer the questions I've been asked the most. Yes, I've pulled my gun on someone, yes I've fired my weapon in the line of duty (not what you think. Had to put down a deer that was hit by a car), no I've never tazered anyone, yes I've been in fights and tackled people, yes I've been in foot and vehicle pursuits, yes I've seen a dead body (on several occasions) etc etc.

The other question I've been asked is what does the 10-41 and 10-42 mean at the beginning and end of each posting. Officers use whats called the “10 code” while using the radio. It keeps traffic to a minimum and gets the message across faster and easier to understand then common speech. 10-41 is “beginning tour of duty” and 10-42 is “ending tour of duty.” Basically when a person starts and ends their assigned shift for the day.

Currently I work squad 2. Its weekend days with every squad have a swing shift for their last day. I work four 10 hour days. Fri-Sun 630 to 430 and Monday 300 pm to 100 am. Since living so far away it makes for a long day waking up at 445 each day to be ready for work and arrive on time. I'm currently assigned what is considered one of the worst areas of the city (and considering the city its humorous to me that there are worse areas then others.) I cover from 20th Street south to 30th Street and Washington Blvd east to Monroe Blvd. Smack in the middle of the city where a lot of the action is.

Please feel free to ask questions in the comments section and I'll do my best to answer them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey love! thanks for sharing again- i hope being able to explain what you see and what you do; we can all have a better understanding of what you go through each day. Not everybody can handle what you see on a daily basis, Im proud to say that I am married to someone who wants to keep our streets safe and cares about what happens in our lives. Keeping all the ugly at bay- so our lives our a little safer. :) I love you

BHodges said...

alright, glad to see you getting back on the horse again. I look forward to your stuff. Dead bodies? Interesting!

sweetieabbott said...

Sounds like a crazy scheduele! It's nice though that you get most of your evenings off. Working on Sunday though that sucks, do you ever get to go to Church anymore? We have another friend who is a cop in Ogden and every three to six months they rotate their schedueles. He was always really excited when he had a scheduele that allowed him to go to church.

Thanks for everything you do. It takes someone really brave to do what you do everyday. I had an uncle who lost his life in the line of duty and he is one of the bravest and selfless people I have ever met. Al, thanks for sharing your husband with everyone. It has to be an equally hard job to be the spouse of an officer. You guys are great.

Officer Yates said...

I get to go occasionally. I bought an ear piece for my radio so it doesn't disturb anyone and I just sit in the foyer and listen to the sacrament meeting. Otherwise, I just use the church's website to listen to hymns or read scriptures or something.

Anonymous said...

I get asked lots of times- "how is it being an officers wife?" it's not that Im overly worried about him- he is better trained than you or I anyday. Just like Corey- or any officer they are trained to be the best at what they do. The ones who can't make it fall out early, they don't last long.

I would rather him enjoy what he does for a living than have him hate it. It makes life a whole lot easier in the end, one less thing to put in all the craziness.