Monday, August 20, 2007

"Go ahead punk...make my day."

10-41

Today was the day we've all been waiting for. We spent 8 hours on the shooting range. It was awesome. The sunscreen was a little uncomfortable and the heat sucked but we got to shoot our guns!

Surprisingly I did pretty good. When I first started Ogden had me do a gun certification which was pointless because I had no gun training. Needless to say I failed miserably and felt like poop. Today we got taught the basics for about three hours. Then we fine tuned our skills and shot live rounds the rest of the day. Speaking in my most humble opinion I was freakin awesome.

There is a term called "key hole" which basically means when you shoot the target and then the next shot goes through that same hole almost exactly like the previous. In other words, there are two bullet holes right on top of each other with only a slight variation. On four different occasions I key holed my shots. There was even a time where there were six key holed shots on one target center mass! I had to have bragging rights for that one. A few in the class even came and looked just to prove I wasn't blowing smoke. The instructor even gave me props for it. Pretty cool.

Another thing to make it just an awesome day is I put on sunscreen every hour so I didn't even get sunburned! A Yates first!

Its a good thing I had such a good day today because last Friday sucked beyond words. For the past couple of PT sessions I have been getting some seriously bad headaches that come on very suddenly. To the point where I start to see spots and almost black out from the pain. Well, I just couldn't hide it anymore from the instructors and continue on with the PT. I had to say something. Of course they sent me to a doctor to get it checked out. Well, a normal doctors office doesn't have things to look at the brain so I had to go drop a $100 co-pay and go to the ER.

The doc sits me down and tells me a couple things. First he says its possibly the beginning of a brain aneurysm where there is a slight leak in the artery that leads to the brain. Because of the high blood flow while working out the pressure builds up in my head. If the vessels were to ever pop or explode because of excessive strain it could kill or paralyze me. Awesome right? So he tells me they'll do a bunch of tests and figure out if it is a brain aneurysm. If so they would then have to do emergency surgery on my brain and snip the veins leading to the leak and everything would be hunky dory...except for the fact that if it does indeed come to that I get kicked out of POST for missing too many days due to health and Ogden fires me because I'm not healthy enough to do the job. So for about four hours as I sat waiting for the tests to start I was near panic and hyperventilation (thanks for the genes dad).

Finally they performed a Cat Scan (sp?). Very weird procedure. After waiting forty minutes for the results it turns out it sees nothing. Everything appears to be normal. However, the doc says they are only 90% accurate and since I am so young and have a long full life ahead of me 90% accurate just isn't good enough and wants to do a spinal tap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a word of advice for those that ever have to get one of these done. DON'T EVER LOOK AT THE NEEDLE! That puppy was freaking ginormous! They numb the area the needle goes in so you don't feel it. The only bad part is it goes through an entire blob of nerve endings so various parts of your body are screaming in pain while the needle is going in. Very weird feeling when the needle is first going in. It made my left leg jump and twitch and I had no control over it. Really bizarre. Then once the nerve endings get hit its ouchy time. It was like getting tazed all over again. Except for the fact that he had to stick me 3 huggin' times!

Seriously I can still feel in my spine right where he went three days later. Anywhoo...after waiting an hour for those results they came back no blood on the brain everything is fine.

Official diagnosis: We don't know what is causing the headaches but what ever they are they won't kill you. Call a neurologist. Gee...thanks. By the time I was done and out of the ER the day was over. I missed the first DT of the LEO block where they teach all the new moves and I missed traffic stops and procedures.

So I have to set up another doc apt. Until then the jury is out and I still have headaches. The doc even said the spinal tap would make my headaches worse until my body can replace the lost fluid. And whadaya know they did. They hooked me up with some cool drugs to help.

However, on the bright side I'm not dieing and I can still work. Which lead to the awesome shooting day I had. It's all smooth sailin' from here.

Yates 10-42

4 comments:

Caseage said...

WOW!!! HOLY CRAP and DAMN that must hurt!

Mansounds like alot is going on I wont even try to say anything about my life here. just let it bre known I worked 140 hrs. last pay check and now they want to officialy put me on salary ... no raise.... whaa da ya know.. nothing has changed. well man Its been good to read about your crap even the bad crap and live vaicariously through that!

latter
andy sittin40poundsheaviercasey

BHodges said...

Geez, dude!

First: Your shooting must be kinda like Halo- you sucked at first, became the best.

Second, holy weird medical stuff, Batman! I'll remember you in my prayers, for real.

Officer Yates said...

Thanks broseph. I guess its been helping. Since I've written this I still have headaches but they aren't nearly as painful and they go away fairly quick also. The important thing is that I am able to do my PT again.

BHodges said...

Updates?!?!??!?!